Friday, July 16, 2010

Arrr, Matey!

The kids and I had a few hours that we needed to kill yesterday so we decided to play pirates.

Except we couldn't just play pirates. No, no. We had to make the stuff to dress up and play pirates with!

So I set my kids to coloring pieces of paper to make hats with. They're nothing special, the hats. They are the same style of hats that we used to make in elementary school out of newspaper. Turns out they make for pretty good make believe pirate hats, too. And since it's been about 15 years since I made my last newspaper hat, I used this tutorial for reference.

While the kids colored, I cut out and sewed eye patches. Because, well, everybody knows pirates have eye patches...or at least so says my 4 year old.

Since the project is very simple, I made two eye patches in under 30 minutes. You can, too!


How to Make a Pirate Eye Patch for Kids


Materials:
Fabric (fleece or felt are recommended*)
Thread
Needle (or sewing machine)
Yarn

*You can use any fabric for this project, but fleece and felt are recommended because you don't have to hem the edges after cutting them. If you use another fabric like cotton for this, then plan to use some fabric glue or a hem to keep the edges from fraying or have ragged edges on your final project.

Click on the picture to view larger version

(Okay, so my scanner isn't working right now so this is my attempt at making a graphic that will print to actual size. If it doesn't, let me know. I'll figure it out!)

Step 1) Using the template pictured above, cut the eye patch shape out of your fabric. Note: The dimensions of this patch are 2.5 inches wide by 2.75 inches tall.

Step 2) Measure 18-24 inches of yarn (measurement depends on the size of the head of the child being fitted) and burn the ends to prevent unraveling.

Step 3) Place the patch in the middle of the yarn being sure that the yarn is at the flat top portion of the fabric. Fold the top 1/4 inch of the patch  over the yarn along the fold line (see template above) and pin in place.

Step 4) Sew a hem where you pinned except make sure that you use a wide stitch so your needle also passes through the yarn as well as the layers of fabric. Sewing the patch to the yarn like this is optional, but will prevent the patch from sliding off of the yarn in the future.

I used a cross stitch to sew on our patches, but you could use a sewing machine with the zig zag setting, too. Do what makes you happy!

Step 5) Tie the patch on and go have some fun!


Arrr, Matey!!

Fun fact that I found out while making the eye patches: Fabric glue and fleece do not work together.Heed my warning, friends. It's just a big fat mess waiting to happen.

What have you been up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment