Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My morning shower has never been so invigorating

I've been struggling for a month with starting an art journal.

The reason is that I'm worried about messing it up. Silly, huh? It's my art journal. One would think I couldn't mess up my own art journal. But it is what's holding me back. Silly as it is.

I know that to get over this issue, I need to break out and do something crazy or at least not ordinary.

So, with that in mind, I bought Keri Smith's Wreck This Journal on Saturday and have done at least one thing every day.



It's a lot of fun. When I showed it to my husband he said, "See? This is one of the reasons why I love you. You're not afraid to do things we used to do when we were kids." I think that sums up the book well. Let loose and have fun. Creativity comes from destruction! We never knew this better than when we were kids.


Honestly, I planned a different introduction for this book to Made in My Free Time but after this morning, I threw those plans out the window.

"Why? What was so inspiring? What made your shower so great!?!" You ask?

The page that I had been the most skeptical about.

After the Shower or See? It wasn't that bad

That's right. I took a shower with the book.

I put it on my head and stood under the water spray, I opened to the "Bring this book in the shower with you." page and turned around in circles, I made sure to get the thing wet.

Really, everyone should do it at least once. It was freeing.

Like surprisingly freeing.

I guess it's all those years I was told to take care of books growing up. Showering with them is certainly not the best way to take care of a book, that's for sure.


Whatever it was, I was invigorated and even though it was 5 am, I was ready to wake the kids up and tackle the day.

Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment